Thursday, July 14, 2016

The Things We Knew by Catherine West

After her mother’s death twelve years ago, Lynette Carlisle watched her close-knit family unravel. One by one, her four older siblings left their Nantucket home and never returned. All seem to blame their father for their mother’s death, but nobody will talk about that tragic day. And Lynette’s memory only speaks through nightmares.


Then Nicholas Cooper returns to Nantucket, bringing the past with him. Once Lynette’s adolescent crush, Nick knows more about her mother’s death than he lets on. The truth could tear apart his own family—and destroy his fragile friendship with Lynette, the woman he no longer thinks of as a kid sister.

As their father’s failing health and financial concerns bring the Carlisle siblings home, secrets surface that will either restore their shattered relationships or separate the siblings forever. But pulling up anchor on the past propels them into the perfect storm, powerful enough to make them question their faith, their willingness to forgive, and the very truth of all the things they thought they knew.

I am having a little bit of trouble deciding how to rate this book.  A big indicator for me is whether or not I would go back and re-read the book.   The answer is no I will not.  It's not a bad book but it didn't grip me like other reviewers have stated.  The Carlisle family is very dysfunctional.  Lynette has the sole responsibility for her dad and the upkeep of their home.  No other member of the family seems to care one way or the other.   One brother is a druggie, one is unemployed, the other is a missionary.  Lynette's sister is an attorney with anger issues.  I can't say I really cared for any of the siblings.  Lynette needed to get a backbone and stand up to her siblings.  I did like Nick.  It seemed he was the only ally that Lynette had. It was interesting to see how the story unfolded.  The siblings did care for each other but it seemed circumstances drove them apart.

The religious aspect was lacking.  Nick and Lynette were the only ones remotely living a Christian life.  There was no language or sex scenes in the book.

Would I recommend this book?  It would not be on the top of my recommendation list.  Not a bad book, just not my style I guess. 

I was given this book for an honest review by the publisher.  I was not compensated in any way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment