Thursday, January 21, 2016

Hannah's Choice by Jan Drexler



Hannah Yoder loves her quiet life on the banks of Conestoga Creek. In 1842, this corner of Lancaster County is settled and peaceful--yet problems lurk beneath the placid façade. Hannah strives to be the one person who can bind the threads of her family together in spite of her father's worries, her mother's depression, and her sister's rebellious ways. But her world threatens to unravel.

When two young men seek her hand in marriage--one offering the home she craves and the other promising the adventure of following God's call west--Hannah must make a choice. Will she stay true to the faith of her family or defy her father and abandon her community?

Let me preface my review with the fact that I much prefer mystery books to Amish.  Amish books aren’t my favorite books to read.  So far I am the odd one out.  I didn’t really care for the book.  Hannah is conflicted about anything that disagrees with her Amish upbringing.  It doesn’t seem that God enters into it at all.  It is the Amish way.  Not God’s way.  I do understand her not wanting her sister to run off with her gentleman friend.  He seems to be a womanizer. SPOILER ALERT:   I also didn’t like that Hannah’s main gentleman friend for the biggest part of the book lost out in the end.  Those people that like Amish books would probably like this.  For me I stick with reading mystery.

I was given this book by the publisher for an honest review.  I was not compensated in anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment